Schwarz Gallery

          Founded in 1930 by Frank S. Schwarz, the Schwarz Gallery opened on Atlantic City's celebrated boardwalk as specialists in furniture and silver. Relocation to Philadelphia during the Second World War prompted an emphasis on the arts of Philadelphia, and paintings became the Gallery's focus when Frank Schwarz's son Robert joined the firm during the 1960s. In the following years, under the direction of the founder's son Robert D. Schwarz, Sr. and widow Marie D. Schwarz, the Gallery focused on nineteenth- and twentieth-century European and American paintings and became recognized as the nation's major source for the work of Philadelphia artists from Pennsylvania's founding through the mid-twentieth century.

Robert D. Schwarz, Jr. joined the firm in 2002 and became the Gallery's third-generation president in 2004. As the Gallery looks toward the future, its focus on nineteenth century American art remains the backbone of its renowned collection.        

Staff

Robert D. Schwarz Jr. President

loading data Loading...